If you have been using Facebook for a while you likely have a variety of types of friends. You may have family and professional contacts, school friends, work contacts and people who share your interests in a hobby.
There are excellent methods in Facebook for managing the different types of friends and it is worth spending a bit of time to organize these. The benefits are:
- You will be able to select the people you want to view on your wall
- You will be able to send messages or invitations to a specific group of people
Steps to get started:
- Click on the “FRIENDS” tab – and then click on “Create a new list”
- Give the list a name – e.g. “family”
- Then you can click on the people on your facebook friends that you would like to add to this list. You will be able to have people on more than one list. You will also be able to add more people later.
- When you have selected the people for your list – click on the “Create List” that is at the bottom right of the box.
Using Facebook Lists
- Once you have created your list, click on HOME. Look on the left side of your facebook page and you will see this list. If you dont see it – click on the “MORE” button.
- Then click on the list you made – and you will see ONLY the postings from that list.
- If you want to send a MESSAGE that just goes to people on that list – click on the INBOX – COMPOSE NEW MESSAGE. In the “TO” box, type in the name of your list. When you put in the subject and text this message will be sent via Facebook only to the people on your list.
- You can send invitations to your list to view a particular posting.